When Should I Consider Weight Loss Supplements?
For many, gaining weight can happen quickly - but dropping the weight can be a long, uphill battle. The frustration of seeing extra pounds on the scale can be maddening. When you have to lose pounds, especially when you have weight-related health issues, weight loss supplements may be what you need.
What Are Weight Loss Supplements?
Weight loss supplements help you lose more weight faster. They work in a few different ways:
- By reducing your appetite to make you feel more full so that you eat fewer calories
- By reducing the absorption of certain nutrients, such as fat, so you consume less calories
- By increasing fat burning, so you burn more calories
Don’t think over-the-counter “diet pills” when you’re thinking about weight loss supplements. Over-the-counter diet pills mainly contain stimulants and other ingredients to help increase your metabolic rate. When you’re deciding what to take to lose those extra pounds, first consult with a doctor specializing in weight loss who provides nutritional supplements and medications.
Why Are Weight Loss Supplements Used?
You’re at risk for different disorders and diseases when you have extra pounds on your body. Weight loss supplements are used when you need to lose pounds because you’re are overweight or obese.
Also, people who have certain disorders and diseases need to manage their weight to reduce the health risks of conditions such as metabolic syndrome, type 1 diabetes, and type 2 diabetes.
Advantages of Using Weight Loss Supplements
Weight loss supplements offer many potential benefits when you compare them to changing your diet and/or exercise alone. Weight loss supplements can help you by:
Suppressing your appetite: Appetite suppression ingredients in weight loss supplements can help keep cravings at bay without consuming more calories that add pounds.
Reducing the amount of water in your body: Diuretics help you lose the amount of water your body is holding, which also reduces your weight.
Stopping the development of new fat: The development of new fat is known as lipogenesis. Weight loss supplements that have the ingredient Betaine may help reduce the activity of genes that promote lipogenesis.
Increasing the energy you burn: Weight loss supplements in the form of multivitamins and mineral supplements can help your body increase the energy it expends, which burns calories.
Are You a Good Candidate to Use Weight Loss Supplements?
There is no standalone “magic pill” for weight loss. Weight loss “supplements” are meant to “supplement” your other efforts to lose weight.
With this in mind, you’re a good candidate for weight loss supplements when you:
- Are seeking a non-invasive weight loss treatment
- Need to lose weight due to weight-related health conditions
- Don’t want to have an invasive weight loss surgery
- Are willing to incorporate supplements as part of an overall weight loss plan
- Can’t reach your weight loss goals with nutritional counseling and exercise alone
- Have reasonable expectations
- Are willing to eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly
- Are willing to consult with a weight loss doctor or specialist who can help you monitor and manage your weight loss, nutrition, and health
If you’re struggling to lose weight or suffering from weight-related health issues, it’s essential you see a doctor specializing in medical weight loss. Contact Shawna Purcell, MD, who can give you access to the tools and guidance needed to manage your condition, which may include weight loss supplements. Dr. Purcell’s experience and knowledge in metabolic syndrome, diabetes and weight loss services can help you drop pounds safely. Call 360-596-4614 today or fill out the form on this page to schedule an appointment now.