Are Weight Loss Supplements Effective?
With the new year starting, weight loss is usually the number 1 goal. Even if you hit your weight loss goal through diet and exercise, it can be a challenge to continue to keep the weight off. Losing weight is not always about looking good, but rather about maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Many people who are obese need to lose weight to counteract health conditions that accompany obesity like Type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure. Weight loss supplements, when used correctly, can help you lose weight while maintaining a balanced diet and an active lifestyle. Read below to the learn how you can effectively use these supplements to help reach your weight loss goals.
What Are Weight Loss Supplements?
Weight loss supplements include prescription medication or natural ingredients sold over-the-counter to help you lose more weight faster than by diet and exercise alone. Make an appointment with your doctor to see if weight loss supplements are right for you. Only your doctor can approve the use of a prescription weight loss supplement and give you expert advice on safe, effective over-the-counter supplements.
What Are the Different Types of Weight Loss Supplements?
Weight loss supplements fall into the following categories:
- Appetite suppressants that reduce calorie intake by making you feel full longer
- Fat blockers that prevent your body from absorbing all the fat in food
- Fat burners that help you burn more calories
Do Weight Loss Supplements Work?
There’s a lot of conflicting information about the efficiency of weight loss supplements. While you can see real results with prescription medication under your doctor’s supervision, some over-the-counter “diet pills” contain nothing more than caffeine to “boost your metabolism.”
It’s vitally important to do thorough research when choosing a weight loss supplement. Make sure the product you want to try is FDA-approved. It’s also important to understand that supplements will not work like magic to melt the pounds away. Only diet and exercise make you lose weight while supplements can help boost the process. Weight loss supplements and other products from Metagenics are safe, natural, non-GMO substances that can help you achieve your weight loss goal. Metagenics offers an array of supplements to support digestive health that is vital to losing weight and keeping it off.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Weight Loss Supplements?
Weight loss supplements offer the following advantages:
- Reducing excess water weight
- Suppressing the appetite so that you eat less
- Boosting fat burning to help you lose more fat during exercise
- Reducing lipogenesis, which is the process of adding new fat to the body
The disadvantages of weight loss supplements include:
- Many have not been studied for safety
- Many have no proven benefits for weight loss
- Some may contain banned substances like ephedra, which can damage the heart
- Some can cause side effects like diarrhea, anxiety, increased heart rate, liver damage, trouble sleeping, high blood pressure, and more
Deciding to take weight loss supplements is easy, but choosing a safe, effective supplement is not. Do your research before purchasing any weight loss product to ensure it’s safe and worth your money. Contact Dr. Shawna Purcell, MD for an appointment to discuss weight loss supplements and to see if they’re right for you. Dr. Purcell specializes in medical weight loss and management in addition to treating medical conditions related to obesity.